Liquid Landscape

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Heading East

I'm guessing one of the hotels had some spare fireworks kicking around. However, knowing the Americans and their penchant for fireworks, this could have been some teens having a "big night"...maybe some of Dad's bud light got implicated as well.

I stopped in Sydney for one night, and then did the marathon flight to Honolulu. Two days in Waikiki was just about right...any longer and the madness of the tourism would have added more stress than relieve it. I was fooling around with the settings on the camera again, trying to catch the "actual" effect that dusk was having on the beachfront. With the aperture the size of a pinhole to maximize the depth-of-field, and then setting the shutter to at least 10 seconds, I managed to get the photo above (the hard part is standing still for 10 seconds). So, despite the "cheese" factor of the pose, the display of lights worked out well.


I took this photo of the entrance to King's Park 2 nights before I left for Canada. In a way, it reminds me of the interlocking Elm trees that line the streets of the older neighbourhoods in Winnipeg, providing a huge canopy in summer. The entrance to King's Park was done using lemon-scented gum tree's, which are also a big hit with the crazy rainbow lorikeets.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Very nice shot on the balcony Greg! Unfortunately my Cybershot doesn't allow for that kind of advanced settings. I have discovered though, that if I take a shot without the flash, and then use the "shadow/highlight" tool in Photoshop CS I can pretty much get the effect I was looking for. It is hard not to get a blurry shot though, but I'm going to use my tripod more and see if that helps. Did you guys get your Christmas card?

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger Develo said…

    Hey Heather, it sounds like the shadow/highlight tool is basically balancing the black/white scale, giving more light to the dark areas and vice versa. The tripod will definitely fix the camera shake for long exposures...I've been looking for one of those little 5" models for travel. Thanks for the Card - It's up on the fridge being held up by a Fawcett Autobody magnet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home