Liquid Landscape

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Light show

I was treated to a relatively rare thunderstorm on Saturday night. Perth averages only around 60mm of rain from the beginning of November thru till the end of February, yet when it does rain, it can be very impressive. My apartment on Scarborough Beach gave the perfect vantage point to capture the storm coming in over the Indian Ocean. I'm dissapointed with the quality of the shots I got though, and will have to spend more time reading the manual for the camera. Rushing around in the rain doesn't help much either. The first few shots were blurry from pressing the shutter, so I had to put a delay on it. The other issue was that the camera would only "open" it's shutter for max. 15sec...of course meaning I would always just miss the good ones. I did get one huge double strike on the water though, but it was so bright that everything else got bleached out.

8 Comments:

  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger tfoxfan said…

    Are you telling us that this shot isn't fantastic? I beg to differ. To get lightning on a frame at all is a miracle. Shutter snap + clearly framed shot = success no matter what.
    This looks simply glorious.

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Jeremy said…

    Oh my...that is incredible, G.

     
  • At 12:25 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    Nature's wrath can be gorgeous sometimes, no? Amazing shot!

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Awesome - I love that.

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Garth said…

    Good shot Greg! Shooting lightning is one of my hobbies as well - the trick is a good tripod and a remote. Out in the prairies and out of the city, you can keep the shutter open for quite awhile in capturing lighting. I'm guessing you are shooting digital - if it is an SLR you should be able to purchase a remote for about $30.

    I've gotten lucky with a snap before as well but the best approach is to set up the tripod and keep the shutter open for a few minutes.

     
  • At 7:36 AM, Blogger Develo said…

    Thanks all for the comments. I guess the reason I said I was generally dissapointed with the photo's, was because I knew how much better they would have been with my ancient SLR. Those old camera's are simple on technology, but have the best optical glass, which is where the real costs in a camera are. I suppose I could get a digital body, with an adaptor for the old manual lenses.

     
  • At 12:23 AM, Blogger Garth said…

    I have a Pentax Ist-D and my old lenses work fine with it...not sure what you are shooting with - I don't need any adapters for mine to work. The reason I stuck with Pentax in getting a digital body was so that I didn't have to sell all my lenses which of course were Pentax. Too bad about the rocket launch - hopefully things will work out for you shortly. Can't say I'd ever guess you'd turn out to be a rocket scientist - then again back in Rosenort I would never have imagined I'd be a college professor either. Strange world we live in!

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Greg, that is an EXCELLENT shot, clear and you managed to get the bolt of lightning clearly on it. Picky picky, if I had shot that, it would be framed in my living room. Seriously. It looks amazing! I love my SLR, too, but wait until that baby is born, you will see the true advantage of digital (i.e can erase the lousy shots), I can't even tell you how many pictures with my Canon were a complete waste of paper because of one of the boys wandering off, or chewing on their hands, or whatever.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home