Liquid Landscape

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Laugh...Kookaburra laugh

When Sophie and I were here in Perth from June - August, it was the middle of the Australian winter, and we missed out on spotting lots of different animals. Now that it is getting up to 30 degrees here during the day, lots of unusual creatures are starting to appear.

I was doing some work in an outbuilding today, when I heard this real racket starting outside. Next thing I knew, the sound turned into full-blown hysteria, and I got to hear the unmistakable laugh of two Kookaburra's really getting worked up. It helped that they were perched in the antenna mast, and so their calls were very amplified. I went to grab my camera so that I could get an audio clip of these two clowns, but they just gave me the eyeball and then flew off.

I also came across 6 kangaroos last night when I left. They'll only come out in the morning and evening now as it gets to hot during the day for them. Seems they prefer to just lounge around in the shade. With all the rain from July/August, I've been told that there may also be some Joey's on the site as well. Kangaroos tend to be much tamer than deer, and you can often get as close as 20 feet before those hoppers bounce away with their mouths full of grass.

In less interesting news, I pulled a good size kangaroo tick off my leg two days ago. Here's hoping the ticks here are no different here than back in Canada. My friend Bruce also gave me a quick course on dealing with snake bites, and how to wash the venom off. He says it's best if you can get a description of the culprit as well, so that the hospital can give you a specific anti-venom, and you won't get as sick. You have to watch out when you open doors, cause they like to hang out on the concrete and soak up the sun.

Of course, pictures would be better - I'll see what I can do.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Greg, Ryan and I just got a call from friends of ours that are travelling Oz right now. They are currently in Queensland, working at a farm picking veggies to make a few dollars before continuing on. They said the heat was pretty intense - kind of hard to imagine here right now.

     
  • At 4:53 AM, Blogger Develo said…

    Hey Heather - I've heard about others doing that. The Aussie's have this great deal where many of the organic farmers will give you a place to stay if you help out on the farm for ahwile. On the flip side, some Canadian farmers offer the same oppurtunity.

    Not sure where your friends are... but I noticed that Derby got up to the low-40s the other day. Did you know that it's cooler to wear clothes on day's like that, as your body temperature is lower than the outdoors, and your clothes actually insulate you from the heat. Wild.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home