Liquid Landscape

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Fear Itself

One of my stockings this Christmas yielded a fiery little bottle of Iguana Gold hot sauce that Sophie picked out for me at a great store here in Ottawa called Chilly Chile's. I've been adding the liquid fire to soups and casseroles already, and it has a fantastic taste. According to the website, the heat factor is only a 4 /10, but the flavour definitely makes up for the mild kick, and at least Soph can partake as well.

I got to wondering if there was a standard for rating these sauces, as it seems completely relative. I mean...the name just doesn't cut it anymore - they've used everything..."Ass in Space", "Colon Cleaner Sauce", "Fear Itself", and my favorite "No Shit - This is Hot". Turns out there is this thing called the Scoville rating, which basically measure how much of a sugar solution is needed to add to a dish to remove the heat. It was developed in 1912, and is apparently much more scientific now, but the basic unit of measure still holds.

So then I get to wondering who holds the record for hottest sauce in the world. I noticed in the Ottawa store that some of the products had legal waivers to sign, and that you had to be at least 21 years of age. Then I found this site...some guy named Blair has been racking up the Scoville units into the 16 million range (Tabasco comes in at a measly 2000 units!). His latest invention isn't really a sauce, but a vial filled with pure capsaicun crystal. Wild.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whoa! And I thought some of the stuff Ryan has picked up was pretty fiery. We get this great hot sauce here in Maui called Shark Attack, and another one called Hula Girl. I guess they have won some awards - but I don't know whether that means a local contest, State wide, International or what.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Develo said…

    I saw the Hula Girl sauce in the store...Is it any good?

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think that Ryan really likes it - I'm not a hot sauce kinda' girl.

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Garth said…

    We purchased Da Bomb and it scores pretty well both in taste and heat according to your link. A drop on a toothpick is all you need to send people racing for a litre of milk! It's good in soups or chilis though. I always wondered how they rated the heat of hot sauce - cool link!

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Jeremy said…

    I've gotta find that photo we have of you pouring Fear Itself all over your chili at our place circa 1999 or 2000...

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger Develo said…

    Whoa...yeah, Da Bomb looks like it's pretty serious stuff.

    I found this blog where I guy actually drops a single crystal of Blairs 16 million into his pot of tomato soup, and he had to throw the whole thing away due to heat.

    http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/blairs-16-million-product-review/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home